Cholera is a bacterial infection of the small intestines caused by the bacterium Vibrio cholera. It’s primarily transmitted through drinking water and poorly cooked food, which has been contaminated with feaces of an infected person. The main symptoms are diarrhoea and vomiting leading to severe dehydration, which can quickly lead to death.
Cholera can be prevented by eating well cooked food, clean water, washing hands well before eating meals, ensuring that feaces are well deposited (toilets, latrines etc), washing fruits and vegetables – basic hygiene. Once sick, it is important to seek treatment quickly because it is possible to infect others through contamination of food and drink, and one who is sick needs to be kept hydrated and any bacterial infection treated.
Cholera is an infectious disease caused by a bacteria called Vibrio cholerea. When one is infected they vomit and watery diarrhoea resulting in loss of water in the body (dehydration) and loss of electrolytes (or salts) such as sodium and chloride. Therefore when you are diagnosed with cholera you are given oral rehydration salts.
Cholera is transmitted by eating or drinking contaminated food or water. So to prevent cholera one has to boil their drinking water or treating it with a bleaching agent such as chlorine. Chlorine works to kill the bacteria that causes cholera. One is also advised to wash their hands and practicing personal hygiene. There is also a vaccine available for cholera that helps to prevent a person from getting the disease.